By Ilaria Catizone
Just in time for the end of winter, here is the last part of the Cozy Oven series. These little egg cups can be made to suit your taste and they are a great way to use leftover veggies and meat.
The basic ingredients:
• 6 eggs – eggs from the Co-op are always flavourful and tasty!
• A splash of milk – dairy or vegan
• Two tablespoons of flour – any type is fine, including gluten free, besan and wholemeal – you can leave this out for softer cups.
• One cup of finely chopped goodies – these can be veggies or meat, leftovers work best as they are already cooked.
Preheat the oven to 180C.
1. Combine the eggs, milk and flour and whisk well until all the lumps are gone. If you are feeling fancy you can also add a dash of finely chopped up almonds or sunflower seeds for an extra crunch.
2. Fold in your leftovers, pour into muffin cups and bake at 180C for 10-15 minutes.
3. Serve hot or cool and freeze for use in lunchboxes during the week.
The fun part of this recipe is trying different goodie combinations to make the cups always different.
I usually hide a piece of cheese in half of them just for fun. Cheeses that melt are best, like cheddar or mozzarella, but a bit of crumbled feta is also nice for a bit of a salty pop.
As for veggies we like carrots, capsicum, spinach and other greens including kale, peas and beans and even small piece of broccoli.
I don’t eat meat so I rarely add it but I am sure that pieces of bacon would go pretty well as would shredded meat that has stewed.
For an extra punch of flavour, herbs are always a good idea. I love mint so that’s always my first choice, but thyme, chives or garlic leaves are also great in these cups.
I find the hardest thing is not to add so many goodies that the eggs fall apart… but that’s a fun problem to have!
I use mini muffin silicone moulds and this recipe makes about 12 but it would only make about 6-7 regular sized muffins. They are super sticky so if your moulds are metal make sure to grease them well with oil or butter or use silicone re-usable muffin liners.
I hope you enjoyed this series and are enjoying lots of cozy oven meals in these cold end-of-winter weeks!